Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Let's get this party started!

ok, actually, i got this party started in February. after a false start. see, what had happened was....

I was talking to a friend of mine around January. she was telling me about how she'd decided to go natural. this was something i have toyed with on and off since 1993, and i decided to make that move too. and i totally invited myself along for the journey. and i felt pretty good about that choice, too.

And so, on a cold day in February, i went to my my hairdresser ...The Miracle Worker...for my usual appointment and to inform him that i was not going to be getting anymore relaxers. i was RESOLUTE, i tell you!

So much so, that as i sat in the chair and he looked at me and asked "what are you getting done today," i opened my mouth and loudly, proudly proclaimed

"....i need a relaxer!!!!"

Yes, i cracked just that easily. i think my heart was even racing. i know for sure one eye was tearing up.

And that's the thing i want to address out the gate: i'm not making this change because i have a generalized, wide-sweeping opinion about whether or not black women should relax their hair. but i do have a pretty strong opinion about whether or not i need to continue to relax MY hair. i'm making this move for myself and i have concrete reasons behind it. more on that in a few...

So that is how February 20th, 2009 became the date of my last relaxer. and now that it's been almost 4 months since then, things on my head are really starting to get interesting.

stay tuned....

1 comment:

  1. this blog is the heat!the good kind, not the one that causes breakage.

    ReplyDelete